In the last three years, $1,700,000 has been raised and directed to the following efforts:
NEW RESEARCH EQUIPMENT FOR UCI SCIENTISTS: $350,000
This donation was matched by $300,000 federal research grant and UCI intramural funding, which have enabled the Diabetes Center to purchase:
These tools enable many researchers to study the full spectrum of blood sugar control and metabolism.
LEADING FACULTY AND SCIENTISTS: $600,000
In order to fulfill important research goals, it is vitally important to support our faculty and train our scientist staffs and PhD students from all over the world.
Together with federal and private research grants, over 30 scientists at UCI organize multi-faceted approach to research that is unique in the nation.
- New drug discovery – new chemical molecules to prevent development of Type 1 Diabetes and improve management of Type 2 Diabetes.
- Obesity research – identified novel mechanism of obesity that lead to abnormal metabolism in fat. This study will contribute to better therapeutic targeting.
- Prevention of diabetes with Islet cell auto-transplantation when patients receive pancreas surgery.
- Developed a new animal model of diabetes heart disease, this model wi ll help accelerate future research in this area.
- Completed the first map of human stem cell genetic structure.
NEW FACULTY LABORATORY SETUP: $300,000
Together with $1.2 million in funding from UC Irvine, we have recruited top talents to join our team. Among the new faculty, two bright rising stars joined UCI Diabetes Center.
- Steven Chessler, MD PhD, islet cell expert recruited from UC San Diego.
- Qin Yang, MD PhD, obesity expert recruited from Harvard Medical School
LAUNCH NEW RESEARCH PROJECTS: $450,000